Now come on, ladies (and gents), this is getting to be a solo trip through the doings of Nanny Ogg rather than a discussion stream.
Everyone is busy but it would be nice if you took a few minutes now and then to post your thoughts on the next book to read, whether you like/hate it, tell us how you're doing, is there life on Mars, and so on.
Because you are all so shy of blogging, I have sent a round robin email about next Monday's meeting at Cocotoos restaurant in Whitworth Street West. Please let me know if you are coming along so that I can adjust the figures. Cocotoos is a very nice family type Italian restaurant and we should have a quietish table for our discussion.
And I shall take this opportunity to wish Jonathan A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us all.
Nanny x
4 comments:
Yes indeed - Many Happy Returns Jonathan!
We could talk about themes in the Cowboy book (oops - am I intellectualising again? Pretentious? Moi?)Does anybody know anything about the author? Like what has happened in her life so that she makes her female characters losers? I reckon she must have had a hard time somewhere along the line.
Batey
x
Oh go on, let's be pretentious...the blurb on her website seems to imply (oh God, am stuck in essay jargon) that she had an angry childhood (did any famous person not, these days?), has a ranch, horses and Irish wolfhounds but no partner and is an adrenaline junkie so I guess the stories must be coloured by her own experiences.
Think it will be Sue, Jean, Lisa, Vicki, Lorraine, Kate, Erica and moi next Monday. Haven't heard from Jonathan; he's probably too busy perfecting his digital photography techniques for the blog. Yes, I'm jealous that I am not as technologically advanced as he is, having only just now discovered how to save telephone numbers to SIM card rather than phone.
And, even worse, have committed the cardinal sin of filling my diesel car with unleaded petrol; my car not happy about it and neither am I. Daughter not happy because I have kidnapped her car. Husband happy cos he's in Spain and knows nothing of it.I may have to start a new blog chronicling the adventures of terminally grumpy and incompetent old ladies..
Ah so that was the reason the car was in a bad mood then!
I am looking forward to the discussion on Cowboys particularly as I havent started it yet! I am having a facial and a massage on Saturday morning so will be blissed out for the rest of the day on the sofa so I plan to finish Hawksmoor (am on the 2nd part and I am not giving up!) and start this one. We will see how we do.
Just been out for a coffee over lunch and was took my "work based" book... Sebastian Faulks Human Traces (too much animal dissection so far for my liking) and some nutter guy sat opposite me in Cafe Nero. Had his trousers pulled so far up I think he had them tucked in the top of his vest and he reminded me of guy used to go to school with whose name escaped me but who I seemed to remember as "Bod". Why do we attract these people?
Was it Simon Cowell? He likes to hoick his trousers up high; is it a sign of an uptight personality, do you think? Or perhaps he needs support (and warmth) around his nether regions...
If you're feeling blisshed (not drunk honestly) out, you should be able to fly through the cowboy book.
Hope Charlie's feeling blisshed out when he gets back from Spain because although have got mechanic to work his magic tomorrow, the car may still need to be decently buried and reincarnated in the form of a new one. Depends on degree of blissh whether it would be a newish Ka or something more sporty, or worse a clapped out Granada like my old pimpmobile.
Plus have just paid huge tax bill so he won't be a happy bunny for long.....maybe I can persuade HIM to read the cowboy book.
Post a Comment