Just before we leave Primo Levi I have just finished The Truce and found it much more interesting than If this Be Man. Little is said or written today of the chaos which reigned in Europe after the 2nd World War finished. Somehow I imagined the Allies' troops getting through to Auchwitz and the medics setting to work to treat the suffering that had survived. The fact that the German troops guarding them fled taking the fittest and leaving the rest to die and that these latter were left wandering in sickness and confusion round Russia, Rumania, Hungary, etc. didn't occur to me. Quite poignant too that a shirt with a hole in could be sold in a market for enough to buy a meal is amazing now. Even third world market places have new clothes stalls nowadays. Brings home the scale of the disaster which overtook Europe rather better. The Truce also explains Primo Levi's ultimate suicide in a way as he was left with a vivid dream that recurred and sunk him into severe depression. Whether it was part of the digestive problems, similar to diabetes, that he suffered as a result of his starvation I don't know.
And so to Harry, bought cheaply at our new Waterstones in Knutsford. They must have sold at a loss! As gripping as ever if a bit slow to get going. I was once more transported into Harry's magical world which seemed so real, and had some late nights till I'd finished. Will be giving this a much higher mark you will be glad to hear. I'm afraid I only give high marks to books I have really enjoyed and which have given me pleasure. Can't say Primo's sad tale gave me any pleasure even if it was informative.
Who is the walking wounded? Sorry if I tactlessly didn't notice someone had hurt themselves at the Market. I was so taken up with trying to avoid the flying ants/insects, couldn't face any more bites having returned from Italy with nearly 50 and been on antibiotics for them. The moral of the tale is to avoid Stressa on Lake Maggiore, particularly in July!
Jewels
1 comment:
Ah - couldn't face The Truce. I did know a bit about the "repatriation" of those poor souls which is why I couldn't face it. We simply can't imagine what Europe was like at that time. As you say, is it any wonder Levi committed suicide? I suppose the wonder is that more didn't, but then the life force is stronger in some people than others.
Sorry, getting morbidly serious.
The "walking wounded" were the likes of Nanny who was poorly-sick and I think others too, as Andrea had booked for 11 but as we know only 6 of us braved the flying ants.
Don't let the mossies put you off that part of Italy. Try later on in the year. I went in September a couple of years ago, and came back spot free, which is more than can be said for arms after a foray into the garden at dusk last night!
Batey
xx
Post a Comment