Do we think he should be allowed to take over BSkyB now that he has stopped printing the News of the World and sacked all its employees - except Rebekah Thing, who obviously knows where all the bodies are buried? Does he really think that this will rehabilitate his empire in the eyes of the reading public? We know that all he needs to do to rehabilitate himself in the eyes of the politicians is to continue to put huge sums of money into their election campaigns and promote them in his obscenely vast news empire.
In fact, why does there need to be a takeover of BSkyB - apart from the further aggrandizement of the Murdoch family? Is it failing in some way - apart from the dross broadcast by Sky itself? Does Richard Branson not brown-nose enough for Virgin to have some input - or even the dear old Beeb?
Everyone knows that these takeovers simply promote monolithic faceless corporations (though one can certainly not say that the Murdoch empire is 'faceless') which in turn means redundancies for lots of people doing a decent job and it means an overall downgrading of the service given to the public. One only has to look at the high street to see how 'samey' and bland it has all become with very little new or indiv idual to enrich our lives. OK, I am ranting. i accept that I am a grumpy old broad.
But hey, never mind, i have many good books to read and more in the pipeline. And I shall be seeing you all - I hope - on 18 July to have yet another jolly reunion.
6 comments:
"dross broadcast by Sky"? Has no-one seen Sky Atlantic? I watch virtually nothing else these days...
Incidentally, will be switching from The Times to that cheapo Independent paper from now on.
And also, was at the Johnny Vegas thing as part of the festival the other night and he was talking about a good salesman: "he was so good he could have sold a sense of shame to Rebekka Brookes"! Fab.
Oh Jonathan please don't put any more journalists out of work. I rather think the Times has the lowest readership of all the News International papers. Plus I quite like reading Libby Purves and the chap from Hull, whose name escapes me. Names have a nasty habit of eluding me nowadays I'm afraid. One reason why I try to do the Timnes 2 crossword every day!!!
Jewels
Just remembered, Robert Crampton is the chap from Hull.
Jewels
OMG Jewels, Robert Crampton! I look at articles by him, by Caitlin Moran and Giles Coren and ask myself - why? All moaning about how hard their lives are - hah! And all looking exceedingly rough despite their extravagant lives in the metrolops
Give me Sarah Vine, Lisa Armstrong, Hilary Thingy - even though they all think that everyone has a hidden stash of cash to purchase all those wondrously exppensive things, they write interesting and amusing articles unlike said Crampton, Moran and Coren.
PS Nothing against people from Hull, darling, honestly. Baby sister was born there after all, as was the divine Lisa, but think they would write mroe interesting articles.
PPS Yes I have4 enjoyed Goodnight Mr Tom - does that mean that you and I should restrict ourselves to children's (teenagers') books??
Ah well, horses for courses as they say. With Libby Purves, she nearly always has some sensible opinion that I agree with and I find Robert Crampton laconically funny. Plus that crossword, can't do it tonight and Richard is away so will have to resort to the crossword solver. Working as a team we usually complete it, must say something about our 39 years of marriage!!!
I'm managing to read Sister as its a thriller and I want to know 'who dun it' but it is very depressing.
Still, had a fabulous day in Tatton Park in the sunshine today. This retirement is just wonderful!!!!!!
See you all Monday.
Jewels
Post a Comment