Thursday, November 09, 2006

Post-PG

Well, you all survived and nobody left at the interval! Am I still on your Christmas card lists? (always a good test!)

So - what did you think??? There - I've said it!!!

Will you go to an opera again? Or indeed let me arrange another trip? Or was it a musical version of Hawksmoor???

Batey

x

8 comments:

NannyOggandGreebo said...

First of all, my love, I should like to thank you for making all the arrangements, publishing the reviews, and generally trying to make our introduction to the world of modern(ish) opera an enjoyable experience.

Yes, dear Batey, I do want to go to other operas; I'm just not sure that I am a Benjamin Britten fan, although I agree he has written some powerful music. I think Phil said that it had taken some years to become fond of it, but I don't know if I have a long enough life ahead of me to persevere with Peter Grimes.

In a way, I did find it like Hawksmoor - there were some parts of it which amused me and some which interested me, but there were also chunks of it which left me cold - the story felt incomplete in some way - man is mad or bad, people censure or try to help, man stays mad or bad and dies. Of course, the handicap was that I couldn't make out half of what the lead was singing. It seemed to me at one point that he was crying out in an impassioned way for fried rice and minky socks, and that can't be right.

yes, I know there was much more to it than that but I couldn't engage with the main character which was the biggest drawback for me. The setting appealed to me, giving me a real feeling of the sea and a small enclosed community. AND I at least stayed awake!

Hope Phil was not too distressed by the whole experience but kindly tell him that there are no such things are old ladies - there are lovely young ladies, lovely mature ladies, and extra specially lovely and wise ladies, and then there are vintage ladies who take the very gravest exception to being called "old".

No, no, dearest, I am looking at opera lists as we speak but feel drawn to more romantic pieces like Butterfly or Tosca at the moment. However, I do hope that this doesn't mean we shall not be seeing you, or Phil, at future events?

PS Come on now, Julia, let's see some comments (and your chosen poems) on the blog. And I promise to send you the invitation again, young Vicki.
Nanny x

Batey said...

Well, darling, at least you didn't leave the theatre at the first interval (the first time I took a friend to a Britten opera he did just that - no, not Phil! I didn't mention this before the show just in case I jinxed it. Not this opera - it was Midsummer Night's Dream) So I am impressed with the staying power of our doughty crew! And the power of some to keep awake.

Alas, Britten is no longer regarded as a "modern" opera composer. I have been steeped in his music since childhood so forget how difficult it can be to get into that sound world. For really modern stuff you need Ades' The Tempest or Maazel's 1984 (the Ades written in 2005 and Maazel this year!) That sort of thing never tours.

I agree - PG is not an ideal opera for beginners, but the choice was limited. No Boheme or Carmen every season I'm afraid! This season it was either PG or La Voix Humaine (a 90 minute solo piece for soprano - no thank you!) Or Rigoletto which was panned. Next season we may do better. There is a new production of L'Orfeo (another favourite of mine so best avoid; anyway, I don't like the guy singing the lead in this sort of music) Or The Magic Flute. Or The Elixir of Love. I've seen both of those productions and they are good. That's late February/early March so if anybody is tempted...???????

Pity the words were indistinct but that is the penalty of the cheap seats! I'm sure you would have found it easier in the stalls. But there is an element of sloppiness that cries out for surtitles with English opera - it shouldn't be necessary with properly trained singers.Interesting how some singers are easier to hear than others. Chris Purves (Baulstrode) is always crystal clear in whatever you hear him in.

Phil was not being ungallant; I think the older ladies referred to Julia and me too (sorry Julia!)The mixed age of the group suprised him. Can't think why! However, I don't think he could be dragged kicking and screaming to the reading group as this means of course he would have to read something - eventually! He couldn't turn up every time and blag!!!!

Love

Batey

NannyOggandGreebo said...

No, I agree; I could clearly hear Swallow, Balstrode, the rentier woman and the landlady, but the nieces were indistinct and Grimes himself was obviously singing much more amusing lyrics for me. I appreciate that my hearing may not be the best, but it's very tiring straining to hear what's going on. I imagine that it was a divine performance if you already know the score.

Mozart sounds more interesting but I'm promising nothing until I have some hopi ear candle treatment!

Batey said...

Hmm - I think Grimes was struggling a bit in the first Act. When we saw him in the study afternoon he was a surprisingly nervy chap (though why somebody of that physique can't be nervy I don't know!) So I think it took him a bit to settle down. No excuse for sloppy diction though. Realised the woman playing Mrs Sedley is the sister-in-law of a colleague of mine and only in her mid 40s. She managed to play an old woman very well indeed.

Yes - Mozart or Donizetti. Wouldn't suggest the Monteverdi which is a bit of an acquired taste. OK - so's Britten!

As to ears, you and me both. First teeth, then eyes, then ears - what was is Shakespeare said about it????

Batey

x

NannyOggandGreebo said...

I don't know, yung Batey - I can't hear properly till I'm hopi ear candled!

Batey said...

Just don't set fire to your hair...

xx

Anonymous said...

Hello

Well have tried to join again but the system just won't let me in. Sorry.

In case this does get in somehow, I really enjoyed the opera though I should have done my homework beforehand. I hadn't a clue why Peter and his apprentice were up a tree house in the second act and spent the whole time wondering how they had got it past health and safety for a young child to be up there without a safety harness. Just when Peter finally reached for it and strapped him safely on he started to climb down and then seemed to die!!! Nevertheless the music was beautiful, all the more so during my spell with my eyes shut during the first half! Seriously many thanks to Sue for organising it all. The food was delicious as well.

Darth Vader said...

Very concious I havent posted on here but only cos work has been bedlam due to the assessment. Gladly my lot have survived to fight another day so am back. Am in a slightly excitable state having sat through a fairly boring film (The Last Kiss - fairly standard fodder but entirely non offensive) having just received a text from a fellow Archers fan as I was going in alerting me to a MAJOR DEVELOPMENT. Had to dash home to catch up...


Well as you know I sadly disgraced myself in the first half by not only admitting to not understanding a word but then laughing so much at my own incompetance that I seemed to be snorting my own ice cream. That said by the 2nd and 3rd acts I found that I was understanding a bit more. I too couldnt figure out the tower business for a while because the last time we saw the villagers they were heading "Klu Klux Klan style" (I thought - the cross etc) to see PG and then they seemed to be building him a tower! I also thought the children had a bit of a bum rap - they either got thrown off things or just spent their time running on and off the stage.

I thought the stage setting was very good. The net baffled me but since then Alison has enlightened me about the "alienation" aspect and that makes a bit of sense.

I guess I am too "easy" on music. I want it to uplift me and make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. On the way home I listened to 2 songs "Woman in Chains" by Tears for Fears and "Hallelujah" by jeff Beck. Both are guaranteed to do that and not just because they are pop music because the Beck one isnt really - and not because I can understand the words because on the Tears for Fears one I barely understand anything more than the chorus but they make me feel something.

That said I spent the rest of the week in a great mood and someone at work said "you should see opera more often"! Thats because it was a good night with good friends and good food and if you cant laugh at yourself til ice cream comes out of your nose on nights like that then when can you???

Thanks for organising Sue.

x